Pages

Friday 29 June 2012

Book review: Angelfall by Susan Ee


Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
By Susan Ee

Publish Date: May 21st 2011
Publisher: Feral Dream
Number of pages: 254
Purchase:  Book Depository, Amazon UK

Goodreads’ description:
It’s been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels’ stronghold in San Francisco where she’ll risk everything to rescue her sister and he’ll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.

My review:
Zombie apocalypses are so yesterday. Angel apocalypse is the new thing. I mean angel apocalypse. Angel! Simply brilliant! You think angels are like in Hush, Hush and Fallen? Think again. These angels are for real.

I still can get over the angel thing. This time the angels are the bad guys. They’re destroying Earth. Not zombies, not pollution. Angels! I think you've got the idea now.

I simply adore Penryn. No moping, self pitying, crying, weak heroine here. Penryn might be my all time favorite heroine. She doesn't just fall head over heels for the first beautiful boy she lays her eyes on. It’s an apocalyptic world and she knows her first priority is her family. I like that Penryn has a family - a crazy mother and a sweet little sister.

Back to the angels. I really like Ee’s angel lore. It’s refreshing to see something different. These angels are like the angels we know from the Bible. They have their own kind of magic. They are sent to Earth for an unknown reason. They have created a capital for the themselves where they have taken humans as servants.


We have our bad boy angel Raffie. I actually like him a lot. Often I'm not too fond of bad boys in stories. Even if he is one of the bad guys he still isn't a complete asshole. He has his own agenda and he doensn't try to hide it like we often see. And maybe he won't be 'evil' forever?

I like that after the battle not everyone walks away unharmed. The heroine and company usually walk away with a few scars. Not this time. The book contains cannibalism and other gruesome stuff. Not in a really nasty or descriptive way though. It only adds to the story and to describe the world Penryn & Co. live in.

I’ll bet my whole book collection that this book will be a huge success someday.
I'm really looking forward to the sequel!

5/5 happy stars from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment